The history of jeans is a fascinating one, and jeans are a huge part of our culture. However, it seems like lately there’s a new style, new fabric, or new color of jeans released each year. And that’s no surprise considering denim pants are the most popular type of clothing worldwide, according to Euromonitor. The style has come a long way in a short amount of time, and today’s pants are more comfortable, and functional, and come in many different styles.
What was once considered a classic wardrobe staple has evolved over time. Designs, styles, cuts, materials, and inspirations have changed as fashion has evolved. What began as a simple pair of trousers has evolved into the fashion we know and love today.
When Jeans Was Invented?
When Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis patented the blue jeans in 1873, the pants were rather limited in design and use. The denim trousers consisted of only front pockets, metal rivets, and a single belt loop. The jeans’ design was restricted to functionality, not style, and Levi and Jacob were only able to sell the pants to railroad workers.
Unfortunately, the denim jeans of the 1800s did not do much to change the way we dress today. It wasn’t until the early 1950s that Levi Strauss & Co. began selling those types of denim as trousers. Until then, jeans were usually worn as work clothes. However, by the mid-20th century, jeans were fast becoming a popular style among young American men. Today, blue denim pants are worn everywhere from the grocery store to the supermarket to the mall.
How Jeans Were Invented?
Jeans may be the most popular style of pants, but they were not the first pants. They were invented in 1850 in Genoa, Italy. It took another 11 years for Levi’s to manufacture their first pair of jeans, and it would take even longer for them to become popular. Levi’s jeans were invented by Jacob Davis, who worked as a tailor. He invented jeans out of a pair of green work pants.
The evolution of jeans can be traced to the very first pair of denim trousers invented by Levi Strauss & Co. in 1873. They were called the “waist overalls” and were made for railroad workers, and were indeed overalls, meaning they covered the entire body from head to toe.
How These are Made?
Jeans are typically made from cotton, rayon, linen, silk, wool, or a mix of these materials. They are typically made with a waistband and two legs. The two legs may be sewn together or separate.
Jeans can be colored, patterned, or plain, and they come in various fits and styles. Those also come in various fits, including slim fit, straight fit, boot cut, and more. Jeans come in almost every length, from ankle, to above the knee, to above the knee with a boot cut, to above the knee with cuff, to above the knee with flare, and more. Jeans can be denim, stretch denim, woven fabrics, corduroy, wool, synthetic blends, or cotton. These Pants come in so many styles that it’s difficult to list them all.
If You want to Know More about the Process, here’s a link to the full Process about how Those are made.
How did it becomes a fashion icon?
Jeans are an item that has been in and out of fashion over the years. In the beginning, they were used mainly by Irish farmers. When jeans became popular, they were made to be rough and rough. Gradually, people started to make them more comfortable because they were making more casual clothes. In 1950, Levi Strauss introduced stretch denim. This made jeans more comfortable and fashionable. Then in 1984, Levi Strauss and Co. introduced their now-famous 501 advertisements. 501 jeans are a classic and one of the most important items in the history of fashion.
Modern Jeans Brands:
There are countless denim brands today, each with its own take on classic Fashion. However, many of them strive to achieve a certain look that is different from any other. The brands on the market today strive to create jeans that flatter the wearer, rather than following the status quo of Denim Pants which tend to focus on fit and size.
- Levi’s: Levi Strauss founded the company in 1853 in San Francisco, CA. It originally began as a store to sell dry goods. The founder, Levi Strauss told the company I should order 1000 pairs of pants, and he would pay for them as soon as they were packed. The company was so successful that Levi Strauss was the richest man in San Francisco. In 1853, the first pair of Levi’s jeans were sold. They sold for $3.00 a pair.
- Wrangler: The company was founded by William and Jacob Davis in 1898, originally as a manufacturer of denim for workers in the California Gold Rush. The Davis brothers patented a process for dyeing denim blue in 1908, and the company’s jeans became very popular. By the 1930s, Wrangler had an annual turnover of $700,000. The name Wrangler came about when workers began to wear pants to wrangle their horses. The company began producing apparel for cowboys, farmworkers, and ranchers. Wrangler is also known as the original denim brand and was named by Time in 2004 as the nation’s second-best-known denim brand, behind Levi’s.
- Diesel: Diesel is known worldwide for its signature logo. Its iconic star logo was originally created by artist, David Carson, for the company’s Diesel jeans. The star logo was re-interpreted several times by Diesel over the years. In 1998, Diesel launched its Diesel line of casual clothing. Diesel gained popularity in Europe. The Diesel brand eventually expanded and introduced Diesel clothing, shoes, and accessories. The main target of Diesel is teenagers and young adults. Diesel uses two basic colors: black and gray. The logo of the brand is a red and white fuel can. The brand’s image is associated with biker culture.
- Lee : The Lee brand has its origins in the 1890s when Lee and Levi Strauss started their own denim company, with Lee’s founder, Levi Strauss, taking the reins. Lee and Levi Strauss both used the same denim material but created different styles, and Lee’s pants were lighter, more comfortable, and less expensive. In 1909 they offered their first line of pants to the US military. Lee’s denim production continued to increase rapidly, and in 1925 Lee and Levi Strauss merged their companies.
- Calvin Klein: Calvin Klein was founded in 1968 by designer/businessman, Calvin Klein. It was first a men’s clothing brand, and by the 1980s, female customers had started purchasing their jeans as well. In the 1980s, the store’s popularity was at its peak, as was its celebrity clientele, which included the likes of Elton John and Michael Jackson.